Environmental Outreach Coordinator
Submissions must be received before 6:00 pm on Tuesday, April 26, 2022
The Environmental Outreach Coordinator will develop, coordinate and implement campaigns focused on increasing participation in the Home Tune-Up and the 100% Renewable Guelph programs. This will encourage people to commit to achieving 100% renewable energy (100RE) by 2050 and increase participation in projects and campaigns. The candidate will have a passion for improving the environment and fighting climate change.
- Facilitate the design and implementation of media strategies and goals, compile and monitor statistics for the eMERGE website, newsletter, and social media and making recommendations for improvements.
- Maintain and develop organizational network to find opportunities to promote projects and services.
- Investigate possible campaigns that engage vulnerable populations such as new immigrant, low-income individuals and families.
- Oversee and evaluate market research and adjust strategy to meet changing market conditions.
- Understand the rapidly changing media environment and identify opportunities for the organization to improve our reach.
- Manage multiple concurrent projects and successfully meet deadlines.
- Work with other staff both collaboratively and independently.
- Set up a succession plan for others to continue to work once the work term is done.
- Coordinate outreach at environmental and community related virtual and possible in person events that raise awareness and increase 100RE commitments.
- Maintain a consistent corporate image while dealing with the public.
- Provide reports on outreach and increased participation.
- Provide event planning and supporting for events, presentation and tabling opportunities (COVID permitting).
- Work with a variety of organizational stakeholders to support internal and external events.
- Develop opportunities to engage new audiences in Guelph through events and presentations.
In Home Programs: This will include assisting Home Tune-Up Advisors in the following duties:
- Promote environmental sustainability and clean technology.
- Capture and analyse data to recommend program improvements.
- Keep current on improvements and new technologies associated with household efficiencies and conservation.
- Compile program reports to internal and external stakeholders
- Assist with general inquiries by email, phone and in person (if appropriate given COVID protocols)
Successful candidate will possess some or all of the following:
- A passion for environmental sustainability; knowledge of
- Experience with social media tools such as Facebook, Twitter, Mailchimp, Instagram, etc.;
- Relevant educational, work and/or volunteer background;
- Strongly self-motivated and ambitious;
- Team oriented player;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Academic background in these types of post secondary programs would be a strong asset.
- Environmental Studies – strong understanding of energy and climate change.
- Communications, Public Relations, Journalism – understanding up to date communications messaging to affectively promote a service
- Engineering – strong understanding of energy systems and technology.
- Business and Marketing – understanding sales and marketing strategies and techniques to effectively sell our service.
- The successful candidate is expected to:
- Provide their own computer, telephone and WIFI.
- Primarily work remotely. However, the following ‘in-person’ work will be necessary while maintaining COVID protocols in:
- In person public events
- In home residential programs
- In person meetings
- Be fully vaccinated.
This position is pending funding approval from the Canada Summer Jobs Program. To be eligible the applicant must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act2;
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations and have a valid Social Insurance Number.
This is a full-time summer position for 35 hours per week over 16 weeks commencing on or about May 4, 2022. Occasional evenings and weekend availability is essential. Pay rate is $15.00/hour plus 4% vacation pay
Recruitment and Diversity
eMERGE Guelph Sustainability embraces diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace, welcoming applications from all qualified persons.
In keeping with our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion, we welcome and encourage applications from persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples, visible minorities, women and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
How to Apply
Please submit the following via email to: [email protected]:
- One pdf document only including all three items listed below.
- This file must be received before 6:00 pm on Tuesday, April 26, 2022
- The Subject line must read Environmental Outreach Coordinator.
- Cover letter – Only applicants that confirm in their cover letter that they meet all of the requirements of the Canada Summer Jobs Program (above) will be considered.
- Resume(maximum 2 pages)
- Writing assignment (300 words maximum) – Answer the following question to the best of your ability: “Why should someone commit to achieving 100% renewable energy by 2050?”
Submissions must be received before 6:00 pm on Tuesday, April 26, 2022. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No inquiries please.
eMERGE fights climate change to build a healthier society. It does this by helping people reduce energy and water use.
Promoting smart behavior, policy and improved efficiency helps Guelph build a road map to achieve 100% renewable energy long before 2050. This has the added benefit of a healthier community and a more resilient local economy.