eMERGE fights climate change
We help people reduce their climate impacts and get involved in better policy. This enables us to reach our goals long before 2050.
100% Renewable Guelph
What is 100% Renewable Energy? This is about fighting climate change by replacing fossil fuels with renewable sources of energy.
100% Renewable Energy, or 100RE, means that all energy used and consumed comes from renewable sources. It serves as a means for economic and environmental development to help create a just society for present and future generations.
For more information, visit our page on 100% renewable energy.
Through an initiative led by eMERGE, the City of Guelph joined hundreds of communities committed to achieving 100% renewable energy by 2050. However, this goal is for City of Guelph operations only. Community wide, the City of Guelph has a target of reaching Net Zero Carbon in 2050. We believe these goals aren’t good enough and that we must adopt a goal of being 100% renewable long before 2050. In addition, we need interim climate change targets that fall within each municipal council term.
We want to remove barriers to fast adoption of renewables, while aggressively increasing efficiency, conservation, and the electrification of the energy system. Learn more about the 100RE strategy for the City of Guelph here.
eMERGE fights climate change to build a healthier society. It does this by helping people reduce energy and water use. Promoting smart behaviour, policy, and improved efficiency helps Guelph work to achieve 100% renewable energy long before 2050.
This has the added benefit of a healthier community and a more resilient local economy. For more information, see our About eMERGE page.
At eMERGE we strive to:
- Build trust: Be a trusted, credible, collaborative and transparent community partner
- Innovate: Be future forward, innovative and on the edge of the emergent future
- Empower: Empower the disempowered in the face of global climate change, resource scarcity and growth challenges
- Educate: Use learning and action based approaches with citizens, families and organizations.
- Inspire: Show how intentional, meaningful change can be fun, fulfilling, and build strong, resilient, and sustainable communities