Originally formed in 2002 as Guelph Environmental Leadership, eMERGE evolved in 2014 as a not for profit with one main goal: fighting climate change. We do this in a variety of ways, from helping people reduce their energy, water use, and carbon footprint to changing public policy within Guelph. Over the years, eMERGE has hosted many sustainability events and helped several environmental successes happen in Guelph. With your help we have seen the following successes:
- 100% renewable energy by 2050 commitment for the Corporation of the City of Guelph (the Corporation accounts for 2.2% of emissions in Guelph)
- Net Zero emissions for the entire community by 2050 (all of the emissions in Guelph)
- The City acknowledging that we are in a climate emergency
- The City sending a letter to the premier requesting a moratorium on new fossil fuel electricity generation
- City commits to the UN Race to Zero target
- Guelph Community Foundation divesting of fossil fuel
However, we have much more to do to reach our goals. Learn more about our advocacy programs.